Oct 1, 2007

On how to Caulk a Shower Stall

I thought to caulk a shower stall was a no brainer... But since the second attempt failed and the caulk peeled right off again after taking a couple of showers(when the caulk came off the first time we thought that we hadn't let it cure enough), I realize that it requires some thinking or rather reading. Surface must be clean and rubbing alcohol is recommended, it says on the Kwik Seal Tube. Even a brand new shower stall needs cleaning before applying the caulk...This time around I will not only clean and clean some more but also use a Silicone Sealant, which should be stronger than the white Kwik Seal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most times caulk is sort of a mess to apply. Mineral spirits (turpentine substitute) should be on hand to clean up and smooth out caulk. Also, it may save you some time to blue tape both sides = of the area you plan to caulk.
Jay

Maya said...

Thanks Jay,
This time I used clear silicon which didn't need clean up nor taping, but the white caulk sure is messy...I hope it works and we can use the new shower for good in a day or so.

Anonymous said...

Great job, silicone sticks to non porous materials (like your new shower)as white vinyl or latex only adhere well to porous. That is why it did not stick.

Maya said...

Of course I wish I had known that, so it wasn't the cleaning alone then I suppose...The silicon is holding up perfectly!